New Update (July 17, 2020):
As of July 16, Governor Wolf made some changes to the current meeting size of groups. The new meeting size is under 25 people for inside meetings. Please keep this in mind for any unit meetings. Outdoor activities or events are still allowed to have up to 250 people, but must follow all social distancing guidelines.
Covid-19 Office Procedures – Green Phase Opening
Dear Volunteers and Supporters,
As we move into the green phase under the Gov. Wolf’s reopening plan for Pennsylvania in Schuylkill County, our goal is to provide the safest working environment as we continue to reopen our council. This will be a group effort and all employees and volunteers will need to help maintain these standards.
The National BSA has provided some initial guidance on preparing our units to begin reopening. The SAFE Restart Scouting Checklist is an important document that every unit should read. SAFE stands for Supervision, Assessment, Fitness and Skill, and Equipment and Environment. Please Click to review this document.
As you are aware, we opened the office on June 8, 2020. Our office will be open from 9 AM to 5 PM and the Scout Shop will be open from 10 AM to 5 PM Monday through Friday. Please note these hours are different from our normal operating hours prior to Covid-19 and we will continue to monitor our business operations during the green phase.
Here are the staff and volunteer requirements that we will continue at our office:
- Everyone will always need to wear a face-covering/mask while in the building.
- There will hand sanitizer at the entrance of the building and bathrooms and everyone must use it upon entry or exit of the bathroom.
- We are asking volunteers to call ahead to make an appointment for both the office and Scout Shop. You can call 610-926-3406 or email/call our staff – https://hmc-bsa.org/council-staff/
- We will only allow 5 customers in the scout shop at a time.
- You can call or email your Scout Shop orders to [email protected] or call the office. We are providing a pickup and shipping service. Shipping costs will be added to any orders that are not picked up at the Scout Shop.
- Plastic covering was installed at the cash register of the Scout Shop, and we will be accepting credit card, check and unit account for purchases until further notice.
- The resource room will be rearranged to accommodate meetings of up to three people at a time.
- The conference room will be rearranged to accommodate a meeting of up to five people at a time.
- Field and Development staff will continue to work from home but will come in on a scheduled basis. Call ahead if you desire to have a 1 on 1 meeting with a staff member.
- Signs will be posted throughout the office and front door explaining our current guidelines.
Hawk Mountain Scout Reservation
We will reopen HMSR on July 10, 2020, and will offer unit camping on the weekends with limited program offerings being available. Please visit our Hawk Mountain Scout Reservation page for details on both weekend camping or our special merit badge weekend.
Unit Meetings and Scouting for Counties in the “Green” Phase
As counties served by the Hawk Mountain Council move from the “yellow” to “green” phase of the Governor’s plan to re-open Pennsylvania, we know that units are eager to resume Scouting activities. We have assembled guidance for Scouting units to follow as they consider holding in-person meetings, activities, service projects, and other Scouting events.
Although some Scouting meetings and events may restart, the relaxing of restrictions is not a return to pre-COVID-19 normalcy. The items outlined below are guidelines and steps to guide units concerning meetings and other Scouting activities. These guidelines draw heavily from information provided by the National Council of the Boy Scouts of America, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and the Process to Reopen Pennsylvania.
All units are required to follow all state or local guidelines that are currently in place. Units located in counties still in the “yellow” phase are not permitted to meet or conduct Scouting events without the charter partner’s permission. Camping is also prohibited in the “yellow” phase.
For questions or other information about the Hawk Mountain Council’s response to COVID-19, please view our resources on our website – COVID-19 Updates
Guidelines for In-Person Unit Meetings During “Green” Phase:
- Disinfect/sanitize the meeting area before and after unit functions, including tables, chairs, doorknobs, restrooms, and other surfaces. Make sure you coordinate with your Chartered Organization or the meeting host location to follow all appropriate cleaning procedures.
- Require anyone who has or thinks they have any symptoms to forgo the meeting.
- Question everyone before they enter the meeting location regarding fever, chills, or other COVID-19 symptoms. Do not allow anyone with these symptoms to enter.
- Maintain social distancing (minimum of 6 feet).
- All attendees must wear face masks at any gathering.
- Handwashing facilities, such as restrooms, must be readily available for participants at a Scouting event or meeting. If handwashing facilities are unavailable, hand sanitizer should be readily available.
- The PA Department of Health recommends holding meetings outside if possible. It is easier to sanitize because there are fewer surfaces for the virus to live on. Social distancing and the use of masks is still required in the outdoors.
- Limitations on gathering size in the “green” phase move from 25 to 250. HMC strongly encourages units to use common sense with larger gatherings as we begin to reopen.
- Everyone must be made aware that even by following the above items, you cannot remove the potential for exposure to COVID-19 or any other illness while attending any unit activity. Some people with COVID-19 show no signs or symptoms of illness but can still spread the virus, and people may be contagious before their symptoms occur.
If you have any questions on these guidelines, please contact your District Executive.
Thank you for keeping our Scouts, volunteers, and Scouting families safe by following these guidelines.